Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A SERENDIPITOUS JOURNEY

For many months, radical journeyist had no updates! For months I felt like there was really nothing worth writing about on my journey. Or maybe I felt dry. Or maybe I just felt lazy. Recently, however, I was inspired to write again. Here's an update on my serendipitous journey!

On the 8th of November this year, the strongest typhoon ever recorded in world history made a landfall in the Visayas region of the Philippines. We didn't have work that day due to threats of the typhoon, to ensure that everyone in the office will be with their families when the strong typhoon hits the country. Fortunately for us in Manila, the typhoon did not affect us very much. That day, I went out with friends, made new friends, and had a fun windy evening. 

Having fun with new friends in Manila on the evening before the strong typhoon hit Visayas region


The day after the typhoon, I saw news and video footage about the typhoon's effect. At first, I thought it was the same as the effect of typhoon Sendong that hit Northern Mindanao two years ago. I was there with the Disaster Response team in Cagayan de Oro in early 2012. I thought that maybe this time I could be part of a disaster response team again. On one video, I saw a clip where news anchor Ted Failon was helping a young boy pull his father's corpse out of the debris. That scene gripped my heart. I was moved. I cried. I was itched to do something. In my little capacity, I knew I could do more than pray while sitting on my office desk, sending a little amount of money, or volunteer in re-packing goods that will be sent there. 

I saw Peacebuilders Community preparing for a trip there, as they have been tested several times in disaster response in Mindanao. I wanted to be part of it. I wanted to put my Disaster Response training into good use, because I cannot help just sitting and watching videos or reading the news. I have to go there, but I had no means. I asked God to provide for what I would need: budget, physical endurance, emotional strength, and spiritual readiness. I asked the team if I could join them, and they welcomed Peace Church to join, as long as we could have our own budget for the duration of our stay there. Peace Church immediately responded and was willing to send two more people to be part of the disaster response team. The day after, we flew to Cebu and met the PBCI team from Davao... and the journey began.

Fread, Taki, and I had dinner with the Barkmans and Kuya Bryan Paler before we were sent off for this mission that would change our lives forever...


November 12th evening, we arrived in Cebu City and met PBCI team from Davao. We had a short briefing about our roles and the mission of the team on that trip. Everyone knew we only rely on God's guidance getting there and making connections. 

Waiting for our "first ferry ride to Ormoc City" on November 13th


Upon setting foot in Ormoc City, we made a courtesy call with the Local Government Unit Spokesperson and the City Social Welfare and Development (CSWD) Officer. We also tried to contact the evangelical pastors in the city, as we were mandated by the Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches to reach out to the pastors and churches in the area. In the first five days, we have been able to gather the pastors and they established the Ormoc Evangelical Disaster Response Network (OEDRN). We recommended to the CSWD a general data system to make a more efficient monitoring of the affected barangays in the city, and a relief distribution system that would also effectively monitor transparent relief distribution. The pastors were also trained with this kind of system, and we have tried to connect the local government and the evangelical network to work together in disaster response efforts throughout the whole city.

During the whole trip, the team recognized the many many lessons and surprises that God unfolds each day. He showed us many things we wouldn't have imagined, and protected us from harm as we humbly followed His direction every step of the way.

Today, I am back in Manila to fulfill my responsibilities as a working citizen. My heart, however, is back there in Visayas, crying, praying, empathizing with the thousands of people affected by the typhoon, and yet another thousands of disaster response workers who sacrifice (big or small) to be able to respond to fellow human beings who are in great need.

The 12-day journey of serendipitous incidences is up for now, but the impact it has carved in my being is lifelong, and would forever be a significant landmark in my life's journey.

I continue to pray for my teammates who are still there, for the pastors and friends I have left behind, and for the many more people who will collaborate to work justly, peacefully, while restoring the dignity of the survivors of the world's strongest typhoon.

God is in Ormoc City. God is in Tacloban City. God is in the Philippines! 

In the next few days, I will write simple stories and lessons I gathered, that maybe, somehow, might inspire others as much as it did to me. 

"My Lord definitely won't reject forever. Although He has caused grief, He will show compassion in measure with His covenant loyalty. He definitely doesn't enjoy affliction, making humans suffer." 
- Lamentations 3:31-33

No comments: