Sunday, January 24, 2021

WHY MY KIDS HAVE ONE NAME

 My name is Regina Lyn. I grew up being called "Gina" at home. Anyone who knew me when I was a child would call me Gina. In high school, someone started calling me "Reg". Since then, that name stuck with me, and I preferred to be called Reg until college onwards, leaving my baby nickname behind.

Sometimes during classes, I would be called Regina by my teachers. In grade school, my old teachers would even pronounce it in Spanish (Re.hi.na). Grade school classmates would refer to me as Regina. After college, someone preferred to call me "Reggie," and that name stuck with a few people who first heard me being called as such.

One time, my sister-in-law in the US sent money through Western Union using Regina as my first name. She forgot to include my second name "Lyn" and I wasn't able to claim that money because of the second name that was in my ID, but was forgotten by the sender. She had to change the name in her recipient profile before I could actually claim it. That was in 2015, 2 years before I gave birth to my firstborn.

Since then, I promised that when I have my own children, I will not give them a hard time with their names. I will only give them one name. 

So today, I have Shalom (peace), Agatha (noble), and Alexis (defender). Each name carefully selected and prayed for, with the prayer that my children will live up to the meaning of their names.



No comments: