Monday, October 26, 2015

THE COST OF LEARNING 3: SOUTH COTABATO AND DAVAO DEL SUR


Marbel (formerly Koronadal), South Cotabato

08 September 2015 - From Kidapawan, I rode a van (with Kuya Bebot, our partner from Arakan) going to Tacurong. The van fare cost P120 each. In Tacurong we took a tricycle to YBL Bus terminal (P17), and hopped on a bus to Marbel (P52 each). Tricycle fare in Marbel is P10 each. We stayed at Villa Princessitas at Jabido Compound. The rooms cost P500 each. My room had twin beds, an Air-con, TV. and private bath (but no hot shower). It is very cheap for a room that can accommodate two people. This place is always full of groups that conduct seminars and training because they also have function rooms and catering services.

I only had a day to go around the city looking for offices of organizations we wanted to visit. Somehow, I had a chance to pass by the provincial capitol of South Cotabato which looks beautiful and modern. We went inside, but I was disappointed to see how the clean and new look outside the building was not sustained in its interiors. It was still an old building badly maintained. Nearby is the Notre Dame University which looks neat and interesting, but I did not have a chance to even enter inside the university premises.

Our favorite (not really, just the closest to where we stayed) restaurant was Nadie's Chicken Haus. When we ate there they didn't have all the specialties they offer, so we ended up having chicken barbeque. It tasted good,but the first one we had was under-cooked. The second try was perfect. Our meals cost P259 for two persons already.

Unlike in Kidapawan, the tricycles here are small. Two people hardly fit inside, and I always have to duck so that I don't bump my head during the ride. They are nicely painted yellow though, which looks neat. :)

Provincial Capitol of South Cotabato


Notre Dame of Marbel University


General Santos City

09-10 September 2015 - I traveled to GenSan for two consecutive days while billeted at Marbel City. Bus fare cost P95 per way. Tricycle fare is also P10. When I got there, their Tuna Festival just ended, but there were still some stalls at their Oval Plaza. I wasn't lucky to taste their tuna kinilaw, but I would surely love to go back to this place and roam around if I have a chance. Food is fairly affordable, and there are also affordable places to stay. I was recommended to stay at Lea's Pension House, although I no longer had the time to try.

The tricycles here are also big, similar to how they are designed in Kidapawan.

Digos City

11 September 2015 - From General Santos City, bus fare to Digos City cost P115 per person. Tricycle fare is also P10. I only spent a few hours in this city, There are lots of durian and pork lechon here, and I think the prices are reasonable. I went back to Davao City and spent a night there before traveling to Tacloban City by bus.

The tricycles are designed similar with how they are in GenSan.

No comments: