Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A GREAT COFFEE DAY

So, last time I mentioned something about missing coffee. I did! In fact, when I say coffee, it's not just simply any other kind of coffee. What I mean by coffee that I miss is Coffee for Peace (CFP) - Fairly Traded coffee that when you sip, you know you made a farmer smile because he was paid for a fair price for his coffee. When I lived in Davao, I used to have unlimited brewed coffee at CFP every single day. The last time I had a sip was in January, so it was really a long time and I have been badly longing for that good coffee again.

Yesterday, a friend from Davao brought me a small bag of CFP coffee and I was so excited to drink it that I actually had 2 cups last night and then another four cups the whole day today (now, it's all gone) :-)

Me and the precious CFP Arabica coffee :)

This afternoon, I met a new friend whose last name is Coffey, and we both had coffee together at a coffee shop near my office. What's interesting is that, the coffee shop serves PEABERRY coffee. It caught my attention on the Menu and I knew right after seeing it that I must taste that coffee.

What's with peaberry?

Well, it's more expensive compared to regular coffee beans because they are rare. Usually, a coffee cherry would produce two coffee beans. Peaberries are single beans formed out of one cherry, so they are more dense and flavorful.

When I lived in a coffee farm almost a year ago, we always saw peaberries among the tons of coffee cherries that we de-pulp everyday. It was when Keith and Jenna, my Canadian companions said that peaberry can be sold at a more expensive price, that Ate Kriz (my super Ate) and I actually got more curious about how it tastes. And today was a dream come true - I finally tasted peaberry coffee right on the day I least expected it :)

So, fifth cup today is peaberry coffee!

I praise God for a great coffee day today: four cups of CFP coffee, one cup of peaberry coffee, and a new friend  whose last name is Coffey :)

#Satisfaction



For those who are curious, here is the comparison.
On the left side is a peaberry, and on the right side is a regular coffee bean.
Photo downloaded from: drinks.seriouseats.com

No comments: