Friday, May 3, 2013

9 EXCITING THINGS I DID IN A YEAR (Countdown to 23)

Today, I honestly cannot think of "nine" things I could share for the day, so I thought I'll let you know nine things that I think are exciting breakthroughs for me on my 22nd year. But first, if you want to see my post last year, check this out: 9 Favorite Places (Countdown to 22)

EYSA Journey
Right after I turned 22, I was invited to join the journey of the Evangelical Youth for Social Action, a group of young people seeking to follow Christ through serving their communities in various ways. I am so blessed to be part of their journey and to learn from each  one of the members. I look forward to having more meaningful moments of sharing and learning together with this group of Christian activists. :)


IMC tour
Right after I jumped on the journey of EYSA, I also got a chance to tour the Integrated Mennonite Churches (IMC) congregations all over Luzon. I embarked on the journey with the Barkman family, introducing them to all the IMC leaders and members, and it was one of the precious moments I could remember I did in my entire 22 year-old life. It was a journey of cross-cultural learning, sharing, and appreciation.

Peace Church journey
Even a few years ago, the IMC had a vision of planting a church in Manila. When the Barkmans came, I knew I would be part of the Peace Church journey right from the start! And yes, we are still on a journey, enjoying every moment of learning, sharing, hurting, and loving together as a community. We've got a long exciting journey ahead still.


Sulong CARHRIHL journey
And because my 22nd year was really full of exciting beginnings, it was also around the same time that I started my journey with Sulong CARHRIHL, the NGO I work with right now. Together, we journey towards exploring ways how we could advance just and lasting peace in this country. It is not an easy journey, which makes it all the more exciting, fun-filled, and experience-enriching. I am so blessed to be working with the people I am working with right now, and I am much more blessed with what we are doing together and how we are doing it.

Counseling seminar
I don't exactly know why my office had me attend a Basic Counseling Seminar, but I'm pretty sure so excited about it and I did learn a lot. It was one of the most precious moments for me that I know is just a beginning of more exciting days ahead of my journey. I haven't really applied what I learned in counseling, but it won't all go to waste.

Psychosocial Healing Workshops
As if really trying to convince me, I was also assigned to document a series of Creative Psychosocial Healing Workshops with Women in Post-Conflict Communities. While documenting, I also got to join some of the activities and learned from them. I also discovered the creative side of me in an all-new different way! What this experience had to do with my journey ahead, I still have to find out. :)
My masterpiece, while joining the participants in painting their vision for their community. 


Coffee for Peace
Coffee has always been my love. Coffee for Peace taught me how to love the coffee farmers and value coffee for what it's worth. Now that I'm in a new journey in the City, it is always a special opportunity to get to share about coffee for peace, fair trade, and coffee farming. It is like a part of me now, and we're inseparable. What it has to do with my journey ahead too, we'll see as day to day unfolds.

Tour guiding
As I earlier mentioned, I traveled with the Barkmans to introduce them to the IMC churches earlier. When 2013 came, I also had a chance to take my Canadian friend (who works in South Korea), to a tour all over Manila. She challenged me to make her love Manila because she always sees in the internet that the recommended tourist destinations are always outside Manila. I took her to a Shoe Museum, to Intramuros, to an urban-poor community, and to an elite community. After a few days of tour-guiding, we both agreed that what makes a place special is not just the place itself, but the people in it who are close to your heart. The place you would always love is the place where people close to your heart live. And that is so true for me.

Reunions
Well, that tour-guiding is a reunion with a friend I met in 2011 when I went to South Korea. It is special to catch up and to take her around Manila. I also love how small get-together with old-time friends make me feel special and make me value my memories with them. I got to reunite with college friends, update each other, and reminisce about our good old days in the past few months. I also got to travel to two provinces where my two college friends are from. One of them was recently  when I went to Naga City, my friend is there and she took me to a tour and a nice visit to her house. It is a blessing to reunite with special people from years ago and to still get connected with each other.
A reunion with my college friend at her home town :)

No comments: