Tuesday, May 7, 2013

5 THINGS I LOVE DOING (Countdown to 23)

Last year, I shared about five countries I dream visiting. Here is the link: 5 Dream Countries (Countdown to 22). Today, we're down to five and I'm sharing five things I love doing and why.

Reading
Reading takes me  to places. Reading challenges my imagination. Reading relaxes my mind. And when I am tired, reading makes me fall asleep fast. I enjoy reading novels especially when I travel, because they're light readings that surely trickle the imagination. I love reading books about theology, peacebuilding, and other dense stuff when I am alone at the office or at home, concentrating. I am not a bookworm nor a book addict. I just love reading because it reminds me that my mind is working, and it also shows me windows to other people's imaginations that is incomparable to when you only talk to them.


Writing
Though I love reading, I love writing more. If reading shows me windows to other people's imaginations, writing makes me imagine, swim beyond the visible, the real, and the immediate. Writing is my addiction. I write mostly to reflect, and my best written pieces were created during times I am at a height of a certain emotion. Writing is an extension of my being. It is how I express. I do not write to impress other people, as I know for sure not a lot of people read my blog in the first place. :) Writing relieves me from depression. It is also one of my biggest challenges, though. Writing depends on my mood but when I need to write and my mind does not cooperate, it reminds me that my whole body is not in harmony, so I have to deal with myself first. I write so many things for people to see, but I believe that my best written reflections are those only my eyes can read.

Reflecting
Yes, I write most of my reflections but sometimes I love spending time reflecting without writing. Reflecting, for me, is an art. It is the art of detaching yourself from your body and reflecting on what you have done, what you have said, or what just occurred to you. When I become emotional, I tend to reflect. I reflect on what has been done to me, what has been said to me, and what I just made happen. Reflecting makes me realize the mistakes I do, and the extraordinary good things I can do. Reflecting also allows me to understand people who may have offended me, or people that I offend in some ways. Reflecting is my way of trying to maintain the balance between good and evil, justice and injustice, sanity and insanity, and chaos and peace within me. When I spend many hours on the road traveling, I reflect a lot.

Eating
Oh how I love eating! Somehow, it creates a sense of excitement that I cannot explain. When I eat, especially natural produce, I feel connected to the world. When I eat alone, I savor the taste and texture of the food while chewing it until I digest it. When I eat with someone else, I enjoy the moment of sharing the life-giving substance we are all enjoying! Every time I eat, I am reminded that I am blessed for what is before me. My only problem is that, I tend to overeat. So right now, I need to work on controlling my appetite in consuming a life-giving nutrition over weight-gaining satisfactions.



Traveling
Aside from going places through reading, I literally love going to different places! I've traveled by land, by sea, and by air, and all of them just make me enjoy looking at and feeling the world. Every time I travel, I always get affirmed that this world is our home, and that God has created everything beautiful. He has created everything for everybody, and we need not fight over what's for us.
Traveling makes me realize so many things: that I am limited, my experiences are limited, and going to different places and meeting different people are ways for me to learn more; that living life to the fullest requires recognizing and acknowledging what you have, and be contented with it, and share it to others; and that there are many things in life that are free, like love, joy, excitement, companion, and goodwill.
Traveling has opened my eyes to see so many things, and it continues to do so.

No comments: