Monday, May 14, 2012

WHAT HAPPENED ON MY 22nd BIRTHDAY

Okay, so the Countdown to 22 ended already. But to be fair, I wanted to just update you on what really happened on my 22nd birthday. I told you it would be an "ORDINARY" day. But I realized now that it was full of extraordinary fun and laughter!

MAY 12, 2012- SATURDAY

I woke up rather late, because I slept early in the morning. My parents left home early for a retreat with the church members of the church that my dad is pastoring. I preferred to stay at home, because I promised the youth at church that I would teach them how to make chocolates that we would be giving away to the mothers for "Mother's Day" celebration the following day. My eldest sister also stayed at home with me.

My best friend, Rio, came in early while I was still busy cleaning the house and preparing for the chocolate-making day which was just really an ordinary task for me. Eben and Kim were both in the Province of Pangasinan for a meeting, so they weren't there.

My niece, Thea, the daughter of my cousin who passed away last February (which I talked about in the 10 Challenges of my life #8: death), came with her mom. They visited my cousin's grave, and every time they do that, they would pass by our home. They didn't know it was my birthday, but that surprise visit was remarkable. I got to spend a few hours with my one and only niece! They just stayed for a few hours and I gave them a ride to the nearest stop where they could get a ride home.
So, here is Jonna (Thea's mom), Thea, and me. Thea was playing with our cute little puppies here :)


Afterwards, I fetched my new friend, Kuya Brian, which I came to know only recently. He is a very gifted and talented musician, and it was a joy to have him visit me for a few hours on my birthday!


The young boys at church, whom my brother is discipling, also came to visit and help with the chocolate-making. One of them actually didn't know it was my birthday, and he was the one surprised! haha... So, silly and funny as they are, they made up a scripted "Surprise greeting!" for me! Here is a video of that silly moment, but I would always treasure these young boys who are turning out to be promising leaders. These are Archie, Mark, and Randy! :)



So the three boys were so energetic and funny the whole day, which made me laugh a thousand times! Later, more young people from church arrived. Ate Fely Ann, one of my trusted sisters and friends at church came to help with the chocolate-making. Soon, Jely, Glydel, Ian, and Kezia also came to help. The children at church (our Sunday School students) also dropped by for a while. We all shared some spaghetti that my mom cooked for the day. It was almost evening when one of the young pastors, Kuya Jun2x, who was also a good friend of mine, came to greet me and we had a lot of fun together. Making jokes, stories, and taking photos! Alongside making chocolates for the mothers.
Mark, Archie, Randy, me, Rio, and Kuya Brian (the serious-looking guy) LOL



After we wrapped the chocolates, they had to leave for church to practice for the Sunday Worship singing. I stayed at home to wash all the dishes that we used, and to clean the house.
That's me, Mark, and Archie.
Back row: The kids, Jely, Rio, and Ate Fely Ann

Here we are showing off the Red Chocolates that we made for the mothers.

Ian, Kuya Jun2x, ate Fely Ann, and Me!

Front: Randy, Archie
Back: Ian, Glydel, Kuya Jun, Mark, Ate Fely Ann, Me, Jely, and Kezia

The Red-rose looking chocolates that we made for the entire day! :)


Later, my brother Eben called to greet me a happy birthday. My best friend Kim also talked to me. I was supposed to be with them on that trip to Hundred Islands in Pangasinan, but it didn't happen, so these two naughty boys were teasing me and trying to make me envy them for their adventure.

Later in the evening, the church musicians - Emman, Romnick, and Toto passed by our house to greet me. It was very touching!

Aside from the personal greetings and phone calls, I also received more than a hundred greetings on Facebook! I was touched not by the number of people who greeted me, but for the heart-warming messages that I received from some of them.

The highlight of the FB greetings were the two videos created by the Peacebuilders Community, Inc.  (PBCI) staff that I happened to work with during my last few months with PBCI. It was very touching and moving. There is something about them and the video they created, that made me cry. Yeah, I badly miss them and the work that we used to do together. But like Angie said, they know that I am happy right now. Knowing that I have them in my heart and that they have me in their hearts, is enough to make my 22nd birthday happy.


So, right! My 22nd birthday was just an ordinary day. It was busy and tiring, and we didn't have much food, but this day I was reminded that I am very rich. My treasures are these people who have become a part of my 22 years of existence on earth. The people who greeted me and gave me touching messages... they are my treasures! Probably you, you who are constantly reading my blog posts. You are my treasure! :)

No comments: